16.3.09

a dozen days

That's right, after 16 months of "research", I have achieved a mere 12 days in the pilot actually doing some practical work.

By now I was expecting to write my first journal article after collecting the initial set of experimental results. I've also written an application for a fellowship, postponing my "research" for three months if successful. However I needed to obtain departmental permission, which was rejected because of a preference to concentrate on completing the "research". As soon as questions were asked about experimental data and thesis structure, I knew my application was doomed. Admitting such a pitifully low level of actual "research" was almost certain to open a Pandora's box, so it seemed to me the best option was to withdraw from making my application. Goodbye bursary and useful experience.

I forgot to add to my previous post, this time last week my fellow students and I were in possession, for the first time, of a key to access to the laboratories! All we need now is equipment that is in operation!

No comments: