3.8.09

the joy of latex

There is a common saying that a good scientific paper/presentation/poster, no matter how well produced, cannot hide poor data. For the last few weeks I had decided that I needed to get some conferences and publications submitted; every PhD thesis features 5-10 at a minimum and I am nearing the end of the second year with a grand total of ... nil. Whilst I had frustrating fun writing a poster abstract, executive summary and a0 poster, the un-deniable fact was that I had not generated sufficient data to produce something of any value.

Looking back, I had been to far too relaxed about the failure to get the combustion apparatus in operation during the first year. There were problems with replacement parts, delays with delivery of new equipment, lack of knowledge of existing equipment (!) etc. But, to quote a politician: "we are where we are"!

Recently I was informed that the papers and presentations I had submitted to review were poor; simply put not enough data. The moral of the story, start work as soon as possible.

August has now arrived. Whilst technical staff are away on holiday (therefore preventing any analytical tests being completed) there is a chance for me to complete all combustor tests. My dream is to complete all by September, so I will never have to see the combustor room again!

No comments: